Saturday, August 13, 2011

Entering clinical years (First week in surgery posting)

Just finished my one week orientation and one week surgery orientation in Putrajaya Resource Centre, one day in Putrajaya Hospital with Mr. Hazem and one night in hospital with awesome seniors.

Wow! Last Wednesday, after Mr. Hazem (worked as a surgeon in Kapit for 7 years!! WOW!) give us a short briefing, he wanted a few volunteers to clerk a patient in ward XX. I asked alia and at the same time Mira asked Alia too if she wants to go. At last, 3 of us go together to  clerk the patient. On the way to the ward, I was afraid that I couldn't contribute much during the history taking.

Upon arriving the ward no. XX, excited Sanguine Mira just approached the patient, introducing herself in Malay. Unfortunately and to our surprise, the patient is a chinese who couldn't speak in Malay or English. So, I was there to translate and Mira and Alia was asking and joting down the important information given by the patient. Also, in between, i added in a little bit on some questions besides those in checklist (for the purpose to know more about patient and to build the rapport). This is because, the patient was surprised by our presence and he is an elderly so I guess I better make it more natural and in my heart, every minute, I prayed that he will not get bored and refused to continue answering our questionsssssss!!!!

When we were done, Amira went to the seminar room and invited the lecturer, Mr. Hazem and our friends to the ward for our case presentation. Alia presented the case.

Although there are lots of lacking in our history taking, but it is really a wonderful experience. Dr. Hazian was right, practice makes perfect. So lesson to myself, I must practice MORE.

And last night, this was a last minute planning, we requested some seniors to come and help us in hospital Putrajaya. Nabilah and Amal came! We just chat and shared some of their experiences when they were in 3rd year. Both of them are so cool and I was really touched by them for their willingness to come and helped us! Their good works helped 7 of us, and may both of them be blessed for their good deeds. We can't clerk or do PE on any patient since all of them are sleeping.

Alia and I went to see the patient that we clerked day before, we knew he had his surgery that morning. However, he was sleeping but then gratefully, Alia and I got a chance to clerk a patient, also in that ward. It was really funny for two of us, we went in and out of the ward for several times, walking into the same there, standing beside, helping nurse to push a chair...this is our first time going into the hospital after hospital hour with white coat, scared to approach the patient doubting is it ok to approach them at this time? When we approached XXX, his wife was so kind and offered us seats and after introducing ourself, we carried on with the history taking!

I was really thankful to God, for the chances He gave, awesome surgery lecturers (will explore more as I go on the surgery posting), for the cooperative patients (so far i met 2 already), for the cool and helpful seniors (Nab, Amal and Charlotte) and above all, for friends who are so enthusiasted to learn more and always kept me motivated (Alia Nadhirah, Amira) and all the group 2 members, so far the group dynamic was very good!

I was migrain last night before i went to the hospital with seniors, but then, learning in the hospital and seeing patient took away my migrain. Luckily, I love medicine :) I will study more and learn more for the benefits of the patients. When what u are doing is your cup of tea, you will enjoy it without knowing what is tiredness! XD

In clinical years: Do not wait for invitation! Go and learn :) -from our course coordinator, Mr. Ahmed Awil Adam








No comments: